01 June, 2011

My Second First Class

About ten years ago, I was in Tae Kwon Do at a local martial arts studio. I reached the rank of black belt, and life was pretty good-- then I got busy with school and extracurriculars, and Tae Kwon Do was no longer something I was able to devote time to.

Flash forward to last night- my friend, who is now a blue belt at the same studio I once took classes from, had finally cajoled me into coming back and trying out a class with him. Some of the same people were still there, and it instantly took me back to adolescence, and trying to get this newly-clumsy body to work right with the steps it was supposed to be doing. A yellow belt around my age asked me before class if it was my first time. I had to laugh, and explained quickly that it was my second first class. Gamely, I climbed on the mat for class, and just like when I was young, got called up to the front to be introduced to the class.

I kind of choked up a little bit when Grandmaster Yu asked the class, "now, who's gonna be Morgan's friend?" and I saw all the hands, including those of my former teachers and peers.

I signed back up for classes last night. I think I'll feel better for it, and in the long run, it's a little like coming home.

But oh, I am out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment